Wednesday, September 21, 2005


Scripture of the day: Do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased. ~Hebrews 13:16

Seven years ago, I quit working full time. My daughter "graduated" from preschool, and I quit my full time job. My husband and I had felt it would be the best situation. I had been commuting 32 miles to work one way, and experienced all the traffic jams, frazzled evenings, and late nights that went along with it.

That first summer of being home with my daughter all day, every day was interesting. At first, it was exciting and I planned this and that. After a few weeks, I was irritated. I did not know what to do with my child. I did not know how to just be with her and enjoy her. I felt out of place. I remember praying about the fact that I wasn't suppose to feel that way. I was really exasperated and wondered how I was going to make it all summer with her. I was looking forward to her going back to school.

Fast forward seven years, and here I am homeschooling for the fifth year along with chasing an adorable toddler. I am truly enjoying watching my girls change and grow. It is so natural to have them with me all the time. This is how it should be. They are MY children. How did I ever feel that way?

It is so easy to get caught in the mentality of society that says indirectly that our children are a burden. Of course, people don't verbally say it, but the comments about children, and the lifestyles that are lived speak louder than any words.

Homeschooling is a huge sacrifice, but what better way to live than to impart into the lives of your children all day every day.

There are days that are long and frustrating, but they are not the majority. I thank God for His mercy and grace, and for the blessing of being home with my girls.

"But ye, brethren, be not weary in well doing." ~2 Thess 3:13

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you have come to a place of enjoyment and ease at home with your kids. So many get distracted either by the world or by the times of turmoil (and too often that comes on a regular basis).

We are in our 8th year of homeschooling and have 1 senior, 2 freshman, a first grader and a kindergartener. There are days when I want to find a military school but most days I am so grateful for the opportunity to share my days with my children.

I'm thinking the tough times are helping me let go a bit so I will be ready to let my children soar when the time comes.

Thanks for sharing and being so transparent.