Wednesday, March 02, 2005

The love of books...

Quote for today: "Books are the liberated spirits of men" --Mark Twain

Ahhhh! Books... I must admit that I am a self-proclaimed bibliophile. I truly enjoy books, andI have the books to prove it. I am constantly trying tofind ways to make room for my varied collection. That being said, I can spend hours at Borders, Barnes & Noble, or Books-A-Million at any given time. And don't forget the precious library.

Reading relaxes me. I also enjoy pursuing knowledge about a topic that interests me. However, I must admit that I don't always read a book from cover to cover. Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested.--Frances Bacon.

I am currently reading The Good Earth by Pearl Buck and rereading The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson. I have Jane Eyre by my bedside but have not began to read it yet.

I have passed this passion on to my 10 yr old. She is currently reading The Giver and The Little House on the Prairie (for history). She enjoys fiction, especially mysteries. She also keeps a stack next to her bed that she reads at night.

Which book has most inspired your life?

Here are a few quotes about books:

I cannot live without books. Thomas Jefferson

The book to read is not the one which thinks for you, but the one which makes you think. James McCosh

I must say that I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a book. Groucho Marx

Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing. Cicero

Reading is a basic tool in the living of a good life. Mortimer J. Adler

He who destroys a good book kills reason itself. John Milton

Be as careful of the books you read, as of the company you keep, for your habits and character will be as much influenced by the former as the latter. Paxton Hood

Except a living man, there is nothing more wonderful than a book. Charles Kingsley

To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all of the miseries of life. W. Somerset Maugham

Never read a book through merely because you have begun it. John Witherspoon

1 comment:

Randi said...

Hi!

I am a book lover too. Barnes and Noble and the library are among my favorite places to go-although I can get a bit discouraged at the lack of time I have to READ IT ALL!

Best Books: Little House, Phantom Tollbooth, Wrinkle in Time (as a kid)

1984, Poisonwood Bible, One True Thing, Angela's Ashes, etc.,etc.,etc!