Tuesday, March 08, 2005

How our children teach us..

Quote for today: "Children are unpredictable. You never know what inconsistency they're going to catch you in next." ~Franklin P. Jones

Now this is a quote that I can relate to! Throughout this journey of homeschooling my daughter, I have frequently encountered my inconsistencies being noticed.

As parents, I think that we unintentionally play this "game" for lack of better words, with our children. Let me give you an example.

When my daughter was in traditional school, I did my daily activities at home, volunteered at her school, went to the gym etc. The days that I didn't feel so great for whatever reason (pms, stress, etc), I could drop her off at school with a smile-- mope through a day(not all days of course), eat chocolate/soda during pms days etc. :-) I'd pick her up from school with a smile and the rest of the evening was full of the normal activities. She didn't always see how I really lived, behaved or thought during those few hours in the evening.

However, as our children get older, and because we homeschool them, they are with us almost all of the time.---OUR TRUE SELVES COME THROUGH!!! What an eye opener! My daughter (not knowing of course) has shown me so many things about myself, that I was unaware of. It has really put me to the test to truly live the life that I am teaching her to live.

I truly thank God for giving my husband and I the insight to homeschool our daughter. I knew that she would get a better education, but I was unaware as to how much I would grow in the process.

No comments: